Saturday, September 10, 2011

5 Things I Have Learned My First Week in Europe

1. The airlines are not inhumane -While we were waiting in the Denver airport for our flight to London I started wondering if we would be served a meal. Our flight didn't leave until 9 pm so I thought that is kind of late for dinner so maybe we wouldn't get a meal. I asked Chris and he wasn't sure and since this was my first time flying internationally I thought I better find out before I was on the plane and no meal was served. I found an employee of the airline and asked her. She was not pleased with my question and said yes of course we serve a meal we are not inhumane. I realized it was a dumb question but I decided to add well I know with the economy budgets are tight. She looked at me at this point quite annoyed and said they will always serve a meal no matter what. Good to know. I felt bad for sounding so dumb but I was obviously very concerned whether I would get a meal or not.

2. I can actually go more than one day without showering -This however was not by choice. We woke up Tuesday morning with checkout in less than a half hour. Of course we wanted to eat our big breakfast so we skipped showering to eat. Then that evening we took the overnight train to London and we were not able to to check in to our hotel in London until Wednesday evening. Luckily I decided to get a perm before we left and my hair actually didn't look that bad.

3. Public transportation isn't as scary as I thought it might be -We really took advantage of public transportation while in London. We were able to zip all around town. It really is efficient and no one ever gave us any trouble. Since my only option of transportation for the next 4 months is public transportation it is a good thing I am not so nervous about it.

4. I am really glad I wasn't born in an earlier time period -After visiting so many historical buildings, sites, churches and monuments I am really glad I wasn't around back then. Chris and I decided that whether you were wealthy or not your living standards really weren't that great. As fascinating as it is to learn about history, I am really happy I wasn't there to actually live it.

5. I should learn another language -Everyone here is able to speak English as well as their native language. I have been so impressed with their willingness to help me. It has made it a lot easier for me to communicate and not feel so out of place.

1 comment: